Friday, November 23, 2007

Because I'm easily amused on a Friday night

Officially, I was looking at the PLAYMOBIL website because I've read that they manufacture their toys in Europe. I've been keeping this in the back of my head, thinking that this might be a good way to steer Scooter in the next stage of play. I remember fondly the fire truck and knight sets I had.

But it would be unfair of me to turn this into a serious, "responsible buying" post when what got me thinking about PLAYMOBIL tonight specifically was a bit on Robot Chicken. Because, yes, I am really a 14-year-old boy.

The first product I went to was this one:
I have been sorely tempted to buy him for my library carrel. He seems like a good mascot for me as I read through the poetry of long-dead men.

I first saw my potential mascot and some other new sets at an Indigo (killing time one afternoon). Of course, I really like the Colosseum set-up, but I would spend too much time reenacting the chariot race from Ben Hur and throwing various figures to the lions.

Recognizing that my son may not want the particular mix of Roman and Medieval sets that I would (and, yes, I totally think they can go together; given that the Medieval sets include dragons, I don't think we're too worried about timeline here), I clicked over to some of the other sets, including Construction. Where I found this gem:
I sent the link to Trillian via chat (yes, we chat on our laptops while in the same room).

She asked, "Why would you want a toy port-a-potty?"

"It goes with the construction set," I said. "For a touch of realism."

And then inspiration hit.

"I have an idea for a new set. You could buy a bunch of the port-a-potties and put them in a row next to the Medieval stuff--as a Renaissance Festival. And then you could take some of the accessories and put random pieces on modern people--geeks at a Renaissance Festival!"

So I ask you, just exactly how warped will my son turn out?

Especially if I buy the Zoo set just so I can get this:
I mean, so he can play with it.

6 comments:

metro mama said...

Dude, I must be easily amused on a Friday night too.

b*babbler said...

Heh. Hehhhhehhehhe (imagine Beavis and Butthead type laughter).

Yes, I, too, am easily amused.

Aliki2006 said...

I have to laugh because Liam, of course, has the entire Roman Colisseum set. He got it all the way from Germany off of e-bay last Christmas, before it was released in the US. I have to say I love the Playmobil sets because they are tons of fun to put together, unlike Legos, which make me want to scream. Loves Playmobil because they're fairly historically accurate, while also being toys, of course.

moplans said...

yeah. i gave up on making excuses. buy it cuz its wicked.

I received the playmobile pirate this year. Aren't my friends nice?

motherbumper said...

I have a wicked mighty beans collection (with race tracks) and all sorts of action figures. The majority, mean - some of Bumper's toy selections are based on what I think is cool.

That vulture set is freaky neat.

kittenpie said...

OMG I loooove playmobil. I am holding off for a year or two because of all the tiny fiddly bits, but I am loving your warped take on this, becuase truly, it is some absurd stuff they have come up with.